ADVANCE HEALTH CARE DIRECTIVES
An advance directive allows you to make choices and decisions about your health care and treatment in advance – before you need the care or treatment and while you have capacity.
Choosing your treatment and care in advance is your right and an advance directive is a legal document that enables you to exercise this right.
It incorporates all the functions of a:
• Living Will,
• Health Care Proxy,
• Substitute Decision-maker
• Attorney-in-Fact , and/or
• Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Order
An advance directive that is correctly implemented and executed offers you the following benefits:
• Promotes your individual autonomy (independence) and empowerment in the recovery from illness;
• Enhances communication between you and your agent, family, friends, healthcare providers, and other professionals;
• Protects you from being subjected to ineffective, unwanted, or possibly harmful treatments or actions; and
• Helps in preventing crises or the resulting use of involuntary treatment or safety interventions that you may not want, such as restraint and seclusion.
Fax: (808) 949-2928
Copyright ©2018 Hawaii Disability Rights Center. All Rights Reserved.